Social media marketing, independent radio, affiliations, promotions, performances, downloads and all other forms of independent media & marketing are of no use if you don't put a plan of action together from the start. No one is going to be more to you than you are to yourself and it starts with researching for the right tools that will set your business straight and on the track of true success.
When I first started out I had no idea what I wanted to do, but I know that I wanted to be in entertainment. I started out as a singer/rapper and went on through the years in various capacities. Truth be told unless you have a definite roadmap you're going to change what you do probably a million times, but in the end when you uncover something that you truly love it will be the very thing that takes your career to the TOP!
So, for all of the blog friends in the independent market we've got just the thing to help you out. More than anything else...if you're not making sales, then you're not in business. However, first things first though...map out what kind of career you want to have whether it's going to be mainly on or offline and then assemble the plan and finally the resources.
I decided that I needed a business that was 70% online and the other 30% spread out over affiliates, events and co-sponsors and that's what I began assembling the resources to make that business come alive. Although it took me many years to research and of course learn all of the various avenues through which I wanted to achieve success all of that was preparation. To be a mainly online company I had to see what were some of the best online resources there were for me to use so I discovered internet radio, blogging and social networking. After putting alot of effort into these "online machines" I had to develop a system that tied everything in together and to make it available to people like us who need more outlets. Once this system was put into place I could look at finding out what parts I could outsource or automate so that I didn't have to babysit the business and I could go out and talk to people about the site(s) and connect the offline work to what was/is going on online.
Now, this last paragraph is what I want us to focus on because it lays the foundation for creating a real online presence. We are developing an e-book series to help sort out those who really want to be independent entrepreneurs from those who just want to have their venture as a hobby. No slight to those who want this as a hobby but for those of us who want to make a living online, then definitely become a member to the blog so that you can get the up to date information and we can truly make the INDEPENDENT MARKET GROW!